Thanks for sharing. I like the idea of combining autobiography with fiction for an anti-memoir... Interesting that she had a disclaimer on the book jacket.
The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of Before anything else, I just have to say – wow. Azar Nafisi is one hell of an inspirational writer. She starts off talking about her sense of home. That Iran had always been the home that she wanted to go back to when she was studying abroad and that classic novels and poetry became a sort of home for her. Then she tells us that she finally did go home to Iran only to find that it was not the home she remembered. She arrived to witness the stripping of rights and freedom, of creativity and imagination. Lastly, Nafisi challenges her readers to ponder our own humanity. Her words are eloquent and impactful. They’re the type of words you’d expect to hear from a great leader. She started slow and worked her way up to a profound ending. I didn’t expect the beginning, where Nafisi describes herself as a spoiled brat running...
DISCLAIMER: I started with a very personal story not for any reason but my own in order to make sense of what I need to say about the craft (it might not be apparent to the reader.) This book hit very close to home for me and were a lot of parallels that made it hard to delve into the craft. Anyways, I did the best I could currently. If you want to skip over the story you can scroll down to the dashed line and under that is my craft response. Sorry To Disrupt The Peace by Patty Yumi Contrell initially was a difficult and emotionally disturbing but also comforting for how Helen’s experience hit so close to home for me. Last August I had started the MFA program here at Mills College when I received a call from my adoptive mother who I could hardly understand over the phone. “He’s gone! He’s gone!” She cried into the phone. “Who?” I replied. “Jerid, he’s gone. He’s dead.” I don’t remember whethe...
As written on the back of the book, “ Untwine is a spellbinding tale, lyrical and filled with love, mystery, humor, and heartbreak.” I did not think I would agree with this description as I began reading Untwine, because I feared a novel about the loss of a sibling would be nothing but depressing, but by the end, I realized it was so much more. There is a great deal of sadness, of course, but there is also love, mystery, and humor, as promised. Danticat seeps love into every page with the many relationships between characters she has created. The reader is introduced to these characters and relationships first through Giselle’s flashbacks, painting a clearer picture of them with each one, and then, once Giselle wakes up, through the interactions and conversations of the present. Giselle speaks of her own emotions and the emotions of other chara...
Thanks for sharing. I like the idea of combining autobiography with fiction for an anti-memoir... Interesting that she had a disclaimer on the book jacket.
ReplyDeleteI like the description "curdled realism."
ReplyDelete